Community Outreach Educator (Part-Time)
Position: Community Outreach Educator (Part-Time)
Reports To: Education Management Team
Schedule: This is a part-time, non-exempt position. Program delivery hours typically occur during the hours of 8:00am-6:00pm, Mondays-Saturdays. Peak months of the year will be busier than non-peak months.
Pay Rate: $15/hour
Community Outreach Educators are responsible for leading hands-on and engaging classes, workshops, and activities, primarily for off-site Discovery World programming. This position works directly with the public and students of all ages to deliver curriculum as it relates to science, technology, engineering, art, and math.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other minor duties may be assigned.
- Deliver quality, hands-on programming to participants in off-site and/or on-site experiences.
- Learn and confidently execute program offerings under the direction of the education management staff.
- Prep STEAM activity kits for schools and partner organizations.
- Set up and strike presentation items at events, including tables, signage, and tents.
- Facilitate and ensure proper tool, equipment, and materials use and maintenance.
- Maintain a safe, focused learning environment.
- Represent and promote Discovery World and its educational programs at events, as needed.
Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Required to work with: Children and adults of all ages.
- Required to use motor coordination with finger dexterity (such as machine operation, equipment usage): Part of the workday.
- Required to exert physical effort in handling objects more than 30 pounds: Sometimes.
- Required to safely transport either cargo or passengers from one location to another: Often.
- Required to be exposed to physical occupational risks (such as cuts, burns, etc.): Sometimes.
- Required to be exposed to physical environment, which involves dust, odors, noise, weather extremes, or similar elements: Sometimes.
- Normal setting for this job is: Classroom with occasional outside events.
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
Education and Experience
- In the process of obtaining, or have obtained, a degree in art education, education, design, science-related fields, or equivalent experience.
- 1+ years of education experience with youth and/or families in a formal or informal setting.
Other Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required
- Valid driver license.
- Excellent presentation and customer service skills.
- Encourage an environment of creativity and innovation.
- Must be extremely punctual, enthusiastic, creative, and a problem-solver.
- Self-starter, able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Professional demeanor.