Summer Camp Educator Assistant
Position: Summer Camp Educator Assistant
Reports To: Education Programs Manager
Schedule: This is a seasonal, non-exempt position. Hours are typically Monday-Friday, 8:30am-5:00pm. This position requires availability from Monday, June 12th until Friday, August 25th, 2023. Applicants must be able to commit to all 11 weeks of camp and staff orientation days the week prior.
We are looking for responsible and enthusiastic individuals, passionate about working with youth, to assist in classrooms and work directly with campers and Summer Camp Staff during our 11-week long camp program. This is a learning opportunity for individuals to gain experience working with youth in a lab/class-based summer camp environment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other minor duties may be assigned.
- Assist educators with preparing supplies, maintaining the classroom, and facilitating activities and projects.
- Lead games and various activities to keep campers engaged during check-in, recess, and other down times.
- Maintain program safety standards.
- Enforce behavior protocols, help children resolve conflicts appropriately, and intervene when children are having behavior issues. Report major issues to camp educator.
- Bring a positive attitude, show enthusiasm, and encourage participation from all campers. Support campers individual needs.
- Assist with daily camp operations such as camper check-in, snack, recess, and check-out.
- Assist Summer Camp Support Staff with supply inventory, and other duties as assigned.
- Adhere to Discovery Worlds safety protocols, policies, and procedures.
Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Required to use motor coordination with finger dexterity (such as keyboarding, machine operation, cutting, etc.): Often
- Required to exert physical effort in handing objects more than 30 pounds: Occasionally
- Required to be exposed to physical occupational risks (such as cuts, burns, exposure to toxic chemicals, etc.): Rarely
- Required to be exposed to a physical environment involving dirt, odors, noise, weather extremes, or similar elements: Rarely
- Normal setting for this job is: Lab classroom with daily outside supervision
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
Education and Experience
- High school diploma required, degree or enrollment in Education or related fields preferred.
- Experience working with/ directly supervising youth.
Other Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required
- Enjoys working with youth.
- Comfortable assisting with camps focused on an array of subject matter including science, technology, design, and engineering.
- Must enjoy a fast-paced environment.
- Flexible, problem-solver and willing to perform a wide variety of tasks to help the team.
- Ability to interact with a wide variety of people, shows excellent interpersonal communication skills.
- Must demonstrate organizational skills and extreme care for details.
- Professional demeanor
- Self-starter able to work independently with minimal supervision.