STEM Educator (Full-Time)
Position: STEM Educator
Reports To: Education Programs Manager
Schedule: This is a full-time, non-exempt position. Hours are typically Monday-Friday, 8:30am-5pm with some evenings and weekends as required.
Pay Rate: $20/hr
The STEM Educator is a responsible, enthusiastic, independent-working educator, who believes in the importance of STEM Education, to join our Education Team. This person will deliver and assist in creating STEM-based workshops and experiences to visiting schools and the public, primarily aged 1st-8th grades.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other minor duties may be assigned.
- Deliver hands-on programming to a variety of STEM-related topics to school groups, public visitors, and Summer Camp participants, typically in groups of 12-30.
- Develop and/or revise STEM curriculum and programs, including, but not limited to , topics of biology, chemistry, physics, anatomy, and design.
- Develop and deliver activities for weekend workshops, special events, and other public programming requests.
- Maintain inventory of supplies and day-to-day upkeep of lab spaces.
- Facilitate proper and safe usage of lab equipment, computers, and materials.
- Train other team members to teach classes and workshops as needed.
- Assist in the process of creating and implementing program evaluations.
Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Required to work with: Children ranging in age from 5-18 years of age.
- Required to work with: General Public.
- Required to use motor coordination with finger dexterity (such as machine operation, equipment usage): Most of the workday.
- Required to exert physical effort in handling objects more than 30 pounds: Rarely.
- Required to be exposed to physical occupational risks (such as cuts, burns, etc.): Sometimes.
- Required to be exposed to physical environment, which involves dust, odors, noise, weather extremes, or similar elements: Sometimes.
- Normal setting for this job is: Classroom.
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
Education and Experience
- Degree in Education, Science, or other related field.
- 1+ years of formal or informal education presentation experience.
- Curriculum development experience (preferred).
Other Knowledge, Skills, or Abilities
- Must enjoy a fast-paced environment and working with all ages.
- Enthusiastic with excellent presentational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to adjust content to age-appropriate levels as required.
- Ability to present information to diverse audiences with a range of abilities.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Comfortable utilizing classroom management strategies and instructional styles.
- Comfortable with a wide variety of science or design content and eager to learn.
- Comfortable leading dissections (preferred).