Position: Educator (Part-Time)
Reports To: Education Programs Manager
Schedule: This is a part-time, non-exempt position. Hours are typically 8:30am-2:30pm. Desired availability Tuesday-Friday. Monday availability a plus.
Pay Rate: $15/hr
We are looking for a responsible, enthusiastic, and engaging individual to work with the Education Team to deliver labs and workshops to visiting school groups, primarily aged 1st-8th grades. Individuals with experience in biology, chemistry, electronics, and technology are encouraged to apply.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other minor duties may be assigned.
- Deliver hands-on programming to children in groups of 15-30.
- Facilitate the proper use of various lab equipment, computers, and materials.
- Maintain the organization and inventory of supplies, as well as day-to-day upkeep of the lab spaces.
- Prepare materials and programs prior to labs.
Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Required to use motor coordination with finger dexterity (such as keyboarding, machine operation, etc.): much of the workday
- Required to exert physical effort in handing objects more than 30 pounds: rarely
- Required to be exposed to physical occupational risks (such as cuts, burns, exposure to toxic chemicals, etc.): sometimes
- Required to be exposed to physical environment which involves dirt, odors, noise, weather extremes, or similar elements: rarely
- Normal setting for this job is: Lab classroom
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
Education and Experience
- BS/BA in Education, Science, or equivalent experience
- One year teaching experience with children in a formal or informal setting (preferred)
Other Knowledge, Skills, or Abilities
- Comfortable teaching a wide array of subject matter, including biology, general science, technology, and electronics after adequate training.
- Self-starter, able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Excellent presentation and interpersonal skills.
- Comfortable implementing classroom management strategies.
- Must be extremely punctual, enthusiastic, creative, and a problem-solver.
- Professional demeanor.